Monday, November 15, 2010

Paiges Story

So in the interest of time I'll try and make this quick and easy to read!
For those who don't know...we decided to have this baby at our home with midwives. I have to admit the initial reason we even considered it was because we don't have maternity coverage on our insurance but the more we educated ourselves the more we were sure that this was something we wanted and felt confident about doing! Honestly, even if an actual home birth is something you would never do yourself, there are three things that I did during this pregnancy that I wish I would have done with Emery and that I think every pregnant woman should do during her own pregnancy

1. Prenatal Yoga
(it gets pretty granola but still very informative and empowering)

now onto the story...

Friday November 12

10:00 am had an appointment with the midwives to have my membranes stripped. When we got there I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced but still needed a little help telling my body to release that oxytocin to get things going so she stripped me and said to get walking.

12:00 pm Morgan and I met my mom, Annie (who had Emery with her while we were at the appointment) and Courtney at Sams Club so I could walk while my mom did her shopping. Started having some contractions but I figured they were just cramps from having been stripped

2:00 pm came home to put emery down for a nap, we laid down for a little bit too but I couldn't really get comfortable so we got up and did some stuff around the house...dishes, laundry, watered the flowers etc...

4:30 pm my mom, Annie and her two kiddos come over to hang some china plates i'd been wanting to hang. We worked on a puzzle Annie brought with her and timed contractions. 3ish minutes apart by now but not quite lasting a minute


5:00 pm contractions were getting harder...I decided to give the midwives a call to keep them updated. They said to get to bed early and call when they get more intense



5:30 pm I decided it was time for Annie to take the kids and go to my parents for the evening...we sent Emery with her pj's thinking she'd either sleep there or have Annie sneak her into bed sometime in the late evening


6:10 pm by now the contractions started to change...and when I say change I mean hurt...oh wow, they hurt (come to find out I was in transition) so Morgan called the midwives and let them know


6:45 pm midwives got to our house (thank the heavens) I was complete and ready to push!! My water hadn't broken yet so she broke it and I started pushing

7:14 pm out she came!! And we became a family of four. Words cannot describe the feeling...


8:00 pm Emery got to meet her baby sister


We are totally in love with our new little girl...and so grateful to our amazing midwives who got her here safely :)

12 comments:

  1. I think that my husband is totally in love with her too - and secretly wishes she was ours!! Congrats. She is beautiful and I could not be more proud to call you sister :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!! She is so beautiful! I think that is SO cool that you guys had her at home - amazing! My brother and I were both born @ home. Can't say I'll ever have the guts to do it - but I admire those who can pull it off safely! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. You made it sound so easy! Have fun with your newest family member!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a doll!!!!!!!! When can I come meet her??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tears are dripping down my face. Everyone I tell is super jealous of your peaceful home birth. I am so proud of you and Morgan. And you look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bless your heart lauren you're a strong women! she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's perfect! I couldn't even get through your post with out crying! You're amazing! I wish I could do that. I'm a wuss. Can't wait to see her! Congrats you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to the both of you, and for you Lauren to endure all of that, you are strong and will be a great example to your YW girls, excited to welcome her into the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You deserve a medal! That is the best story... and how great that it all happened relatively quickly. You look amazing, she is beautiful and I hope to see you sometime soon. We both live in Mesa for goodness sakes! Lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren I think it is awesome that you had her at home. I had my last one at home too. Once you start to research it just makes so much sense. I wish I had done this with my other kids and not waited until my fourth baby! She looks sweet and perfect. Congratulations:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Wish I lived closer and I could bring you dinner and see you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soooo happy for you! Amazing story....ALMOST makes me want to do it again...! Emery is getting so big! Such sweet girlies! Love you!

    ReplyDelete